Saturday, February 8, 2014

Politicians and respect for taxpayers

Politicians are a funny lot. Some of them seem to forget who they work for. That would be you and me. You know, the taxpayer? We pay their salaries from our hard earned income. They are our employees.

We may not want to pay their salaries, for the simple reason that we may not adhere to their pro-abortion ideology, or their abuse of power, or their paying off gas plants for political purposes, or for hiding abortion data. Regardless. We are stuck with them. And they are stuck with us.

So when we ask them a direct question, I think we deserve a direct answer. No obfuscating. No ignoring us. No buck passing.

At the very least, they owe us this.

And so, regarding my letter to Premier Kathleen Wynne, I received this reply from her yesterday :
Thank you for taking the time to send your emails. I have noted your concerns. 
As the issue you raised falls within the area of responsibility of my colleague the Honourable Deb Matthews, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, I have asked that she or a member of her staff respond to you directly.

Thank you again for writing. Please accept my best wishes.  
Kathleen Wynne
Premier of Ontario 
cc: The Honourable Deb Matthews
To which I replied...again.
Hello again Ms. Wynne, 
Has your open and transparent government initiative now been moved over to the Ministry of Health then? Since it was you who announced this initiative, I assumed that it is your initiative and not Minister Matthews. If this indeed is the Ministry of Health's initiative, please confirm this for me. 
I also notice that you state in your reply to me, that you have "noted my concerns." I was actually asking you a question in my email. I would be ever so pleased if you would kindly answer my question: 
"Can you please tell me if your plans for open and transparent government will include the lifting of the secret curtain on abortion services in Ontario?"
Our government is elected to serve the people, and salaries of our politicians are paid for by citizens like me. Therefore I am sure you would agree that responding to a citizen's direct question deserves a clear and simple response. 
I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 
Thank you. 
Sincerely,
Patricia Maloney

No comments:

Post a Comment