I asked for, and received, abortion data for four Ontario regions: Hamilton, Ottawa, Peel and Toronto, for three years: 2019, 2020 and 2021. The data is for both hospitals and non-hospital settings. It is broken down by year within each city, and by abortion code.
While every abortion is a tragic reality, I am always struck by the particular evil of fetal reduction abortions (code P054). How does anyone even decide to do this? You have two children growing inside your womb, and you make the decision to kill one of them. How do you decide which child to kill? When the remaining alive child grows up, do you tell her that you killed her sister? Fetal reduction abortions:
- There were 36 of these sibling abortions in Ottawa during these three years.
- There were 401 of these sibling abortions in Toronto during these three years.
Then there are the > 14 weeks gestation abortions (code S785):
- Hamilton performed 462 of these abortions during these three years.
- Ottawa performed 598 of these abortions during these three years.
- Peel performed 217 of these abortions during these three years.
- Toronto performed 3,122 of these abortions during these three years.
Medical abortions seem to be increasing every year (Code A920). I guess this should not be a surprise:
- Hamilton performed 2,497, 2,985, and 3,200 for each year = 8,682
- Ottawa performed 1,667, 1,745, and 1,781 for each year = 5,193
- Peel performed 621, 2,265, 3,644 for each year = 6,530
- Toronto performed 8,035, 7,635 and 7,660 for each year - 23,330