Monday, November 18, 2013

Conservative policy convention - re-opening abortion debate?

Dear Mr. Anders,

At the recent Conservative policy convention, grass roots delegates voted on two pro-life initiatives: condemning sex selection abortion and euthanasia.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask you regarding what the Sun reported after the convention:

"And he [Rob Anders] says on “gendercide,” that is, gender-selective abortion, as well as on euthanasia, “social conservatives need to know they feel the love here.”

“Social conservatism is a significant component of the Conservative Party in Canada and I think they spoke today. Social conservatives should be happy,” says Anders.

“It’s very important to listen to the base of the party. I am the base of the party in a lot of ways. I’m the canary in the mine. I’m always glad when the base exercises its voice.”

On euthanasia? “We’re pro-life.”

Does the condemnation on gendercide reopen the abortion debate? He smiles. He says his statements speak for themselves."
I understand that grass roots Conservatives made their voices known at the convention. But making one's beliefs known, and acting on those beliefs, are two very separate issues. Therefore I am hoping you can provide me with some clarifications to these statements.

1) You stated at the convention that the Conservatives are Pro-life on euthanasia. I notice that you did not say the same of abortion. Is the Conservative party pro-life on abortion?

2) Could you please expand on the Sun report that states: "Does the condemnation on gendercide reopen the abortion debate? He smiles. He says his statements speak for themselves." Are you reopening the abortion debate? If yes, what political action will the Conservatives take to accomplish this? It is a well known fact that Prime Minister Harper has stated unequivocally that the Conservatives will not reopen the abortion debate. How do you reconcile these two facts, as they are contradictory?

I am sure you will appreciate that social conservatives such as myself, must be very clear on the Conservatives' positions on life issues before we next go to the polls.

As it stands now, and as long as Mr. Harper remains as leader of the party, I would not be able to, in good conscience, vote Conservative at the next election. This is why it is crucial that I and others like me, completely understand what the Conservative party is saying regarding abortion.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to the questions/concerns I have raised.

Sincerely
Patricia Maloney

No comments:

Post a Comment