Last evening I had the good fortune to attend the only showing in Canada of the movie Unplanned. This is the story of Abby Johnson who went from being "pro-choice" and working for Planned Parenthood, to being pro-life and working full time in pro-life.
Four pro-life MP's were there, Michael Barrett, Brad Trost, Arnold Viersen, and Harold Albrech (yes we still have pro-life MPs, a tough job in the pro-abortion political sphere that is Canada).
Also there was Laura Klassen from Choice4Two, and Christina Lee Fast, whose video My Life Is Worth Living about the plight of Canadians with Down Syndrome went viral this past year.
And last but not least was the actress who played Abby Johnson, Ashley Bratcher, and producer Joe Knopp were both there and spoke to us.
This is what I learned.
1) I learned that Planned Parenthood really really really doesn't want you to see this movie. It might just change your mind on abortion. This is what they said about the movie:
"The claims in this film are simply false. Planned Parenthood is proud to provide expert, high-quality health care to our patients, including safe and legal abortion, in a safe and compassionate environment. The movie promotes many falsehoods including most importantly, distortions and incorrect depictions about healthcare."As I said. Planned Parenthood really really really doesn't want you to see this movie. Oh, they also lost their case against Abby Johnson.
2) I learned that Johnson had her ah ha moment when she witnessed (with the help of the ultrasound) a preborn child being ripped apart during an abortion. Planned Parenthood really really really doesn't want you to see this either. Oh my goodness, no they don't.
3) I learned that when people pray outside abortion clinics, babies are literally saved. And if we save babies, income to abortion doctors goes down. Abortion doctors really really really don't want their income to go down. There is big money in abortion.
4) I realized that because babies are saved when people pray outside abortion clinics, we know that even when a bubble zone is enacted, people will still pray. Like Fr. Tony Van Hee and others who continue to pray outside the Morgentaler killing site, albeit outside the bubble zone. What does that mean? Babies are being saved then too.
5) I realized that those prayers do even more than save the babies. They save people. You see Abby Johnson had a pro-life husband and pro-life parents. What do you think they were doing all those years that Johnson worked at Planned Parenthood? They were praying for her to quit and become pro-life. And it worked.
6) I learned that we need to send an email to email@example.com and ask them to distribute this movie in Canada. I will be doing that.
7) And the best thing I learned last night? The pro-life movement is not dead in Canada. We are alive and kicking and full of smart and energetic young people. Even the rest of us were invigorated by this movie. And did I mention? The pro-aborts really really really don't want Unplanned shown in Canada.