The chart includes (direct) costs. These amounts are what the doctor bills OHIP for, but there are other costs associated with abortions.
The numbers are broken down by Hospital (18,491 abortions) and Clinic/Physician Office (27,082 abortions).
Notes from the table:
1) The figures provided are limited to the fee codes for abortions in Ontario for fiscal year 2014-2015 based on the following codes:
a. A920A - MEDICAL MANAGEMENT OF EARLY PREGNANCY - INITIAL VISIT
b. P001A - MEDICAL MGMT FETAL DEMISE BETWEEN 14-20 WKS GESTATION
c. S752A - FEM.GENITAL SYST.-INDUCED-CURRETINTRA-AMNIOTIC INJ.(COMP.)
d. S785A - FEM.GENITAL SYST.-INDUCED-INTRA-AMNIOTIC INJ. (INCOMP.)
e. P054A - FETAL MANAGEMENT-SGL/MULT-INTRACARDIAC KCL INJECTION
f. S770A - CORPUS UTERI-HYSTEROTOMY.
g. S783A - CORPUS UTERI-HYSTEROTOMY WITH TUBAL INTERRUPTION.
Note: S770A and S783A may be claimed for purposes other than Therapeutic Abortion
2) 2014 Abortion Number of Services based on the list of codes above = 45,573
(Note that I originally reported 45,471 abortion which is the number the Ministry gave me in court. I assumed the difference (102) must be because of codes S770A and S783A as noted above, but when you look at the chart, there were only a total of 24 procedures done under these two codes, so that's not it. I will try and get an answer from the Ministry of Health--no easy task.)
3) 2014 Abortion Fee Billed based on the list of codes above = $5,690,931.99
4) Service Location - Hospital Services: report the services that based on the claims submission were rendered in a hospital setting.
5) Service Location - Physician Office (PHY): report the that based on the claim submissions were rendered in non-hospital settings (Clinics/Physician offices)
a) Claims History Database: billing data Data for Fiscal Years 2014/15 is M7 data (complete data.)
b) Schedule of Benefits Physician Services under the Health Insurance Act, Ministry of Health and Long Term Care