Friday, January 25, 2013

Practising Catholic does not an NDP make

This is one for the books.

The Star Phoenix tells us that Saskatoon doctor Ryan Meili is running for the leadership of the Saskatchewan NDP. Meili is a doctor, and says he is a practicing Catholic. And he says that his position on abortion is not at odds with being a Catholic. Interesting:
"To put it simply, I am a practising Catholic, but I'm also a practising physician and a practising New Democrat," Meili said. "That means I've probably had more practice than most actually digging into this issue and it is an issue on which I still have my own personal beliefs."

I'm having some problems with his statement "I am a practising Catholic, but I'm also a practising physician and a practising New Democrat".

One can be a non-practising Catholic, a practising physician and a practising New Democrat.

Or one can be a practising Catholic, a practising physician and a non-practising New Democrat (well, maybe).

But a practising Catholic, a practising physician and a practising New Democrat? Dr. Meili, make up your mind. Practising Catholics are against abortion, and New Democrats are not against abortion. Simple really.

Then the good doctor says:
"But I recognize the distinction between personal beliefs and political and legal policy and what I see in terms of policy around this is this (abortion) is a legal procedure and it should remain so and it should be (part of) a full spectrum of reproductive health services from education to contraception to termination for those who choose and all the other options for those who choose other options."

I always get woozy when I hear someone say they make a distinction between their personal beliefs and political policy. How can there be a distinction between the two? It reminds me of the philosophy, "I'm personally against abortion, but would never tell a woman she couldn't have one." How can abortion be morally wrong for myself, but not morally wrong for someone else? What if I told you I was personally against lying, but that lying was fine for the rest of the population? Does that make sense?

I think the doctor has some issues. I hope he figures them out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment